Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Eternal Vigilance

As science fiction writer Jerry Pournelle wrote in 2008, "We have always known that eternal vigilance is the price of freedom. It's worse now, because capture of government is so much more important than it once was. There was a time when there was enough freedom that it hardly mattered which brand of crooks ran government."...  The more powerful the government becomes, the more people are willing to do in order to seize the prize, and the more afraid they become when someone else has control.
This might be one of the most interesting editorials I have ever read in USA Today. It is definitely not something I would have expected them to publish.

2 comments:

  1. Is there any literature out there about the amount of money spent on lobbying/attempting to capture the prize today compared to previous periods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is literature on both lobbying and campaign finance/expenditures. I thought I had a really great campaign expenditures graph handy, but I can't seem to find it. I'll look for it and post it when I come across it again.

      Delete